Commercial Playground Grants & Funding Options
Commercial playgrounds are valuable additions to every community, providing children a place for physical, mental, and social stimulation while offering adults opportunities for relaxation and reflection. Building new play spaces may be financially challenging, but many organizations understand the value of outdoor spaces and are happy to support community revitalization efforts through playground grants.
Where to Find Playground Grants
Our mission at fun abounds is to enhance parks and recreation spaces and help families create playground memories that will last a lifetime. We want to see your project succeed! Quite a few funding sources are available; if you’re looking for monetary assistance, a playground grant can help you turn your dream into a reality.
Here are some common ways to secure a playground grant.
- Government funding. Municipal, state, and federal government agencies often allocate funds for building or maintaining schools, parks, and community playgrounds. Search for resources and programs that provide playground grants in your city and state — here’s a list of playground grants by state. A good place to start is your local community board.
- Corporate funding. Many local and national businesses support their communities through private grants that can be used toward play spaces. The American Express Grant Program, Costco Wholesale Grants, Hasbro Children’s Fund, Home Depot Foundation, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Grants, Staples Community Giving Grants, and the Walmart Foundation are examples of corporations that make an effort to contribute. Don’t overlook smaller family-run businesses and local or regional banks.
- Nonprofit funding. Nonprofit organizations often provide playground grants to businesses in their communities. Research local nonprofits in your area to find some willing to help out.
- Individual funding. Individual donors, such as local business leaders, wealthy philanthropists, and other influential leaders in your community might be willing to help out with playground funding.
- Emergency relief funding. In 2020, Congress set aside approximately $190 billion in COVID relief funds to assist states and school districts. You may be able to take advantage of ESSER (Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief), ARP (American Rescue Plan), and CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act) funds, which can be applied toward playgrounds, musical and sensory spaces, outdoor classrooms and fitness centers, and recreation equipment. The Department of Education has information on these programs online.
- Other funding sources. With a little creativity, you may be able to find additional funding sources for your playground equipment. Consider crowdsourcing, holding online and in-person fundraising campaigns, and requesting donations from family foundations and local service clubs.
How to Apply for Playground Grants
It’s important to have a thorough understanding of the playground grant application process before you apply for funding. While specific requirements vary, most playground grants involve the following steps:
- After developing a funding program, the organization creates a grant application that outlines the criteria and specific requirements for applying.
- Interested organizations fill out the grant application, which may require everything from basic information to a detailed work proposal and financial data.
- An independent panel reviews submitted applications and decides who receives funding and how the money will be allocated.
The grant application process is highly competitive and may take weeks or even months. To improve your chances of success, begin your search for funding sources as soon as possible. There’s no guarantee you’ll get every playground grant you apply for, and even those that do help might not be able to cover the entire cost of your project. Apply for as many grants as you are eligible for. And, most importantly of all, make sure you follow all application instructions closely and write as compelling a grant as possible. Consider hiring a professional grant writer to help boost your chances.
Another option to consider is financing. Our goal at fun abounds is to get people of all ages and abilities outdoors. We offer financial assistance to help move your project from the planning stages to reality. Contact us today for more information!